State of New Mexico Drops ALL Criminal Charges Against Alec Baldwin
The announcement that two charges of involuntary manslaughter will be dropped against the award-winning actor on the day filming of his movie Rust resumes filming.
Not long after, the special prosecutor who was pressing two involuntary manslaughter charges in New Mexico against Alec Baldwin resigned news is breaking that the criminal charges are being dropped against Alec Baldwin in connection to the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on a film set in 2021.
Alec Baldwin had been facing two counts of involuntary manslaughter in connection to the fatal discharge of a prop handgun while the actor was rehearsing on the New Mexico set of "Rust" in October 2021 when the prop went off, launching a live bullet that killed Halyna Hutchins and wounded the film’s director Joel Souza.
The New York Post had reported that seconds after being shot by Alec Baldwin, cinematographer Halnya Hutchins told a boom operator on the “Rust” movie set…
“That was no good. That was no good at all.” Hours later, she was pronounced dead.
The haunting final words of the 42-year-old mom, who had been working as the director of photography on Baldwin’s upcoming Western flick, were reported by the Los Angeles Times based on interviews with 14 crew members, emails, and text messages.
A few moments earlier, Baldwin had been preparing for a shootout scene inside a church by making sure the camera crew got its angles right for the cross draw with the FD Pietta .45-caliber Colt revolver, the newspaper reported.
“So, I guess I’m gonna take this out, pull it and go, ‘Bang!’”
Baldwin said as he gripped the holstered handgun, which was supposed to be loaded with dummy rounds, according to the report.
Attorneys for Alec Baldwin, Luke Nikas, and Alex Spiro wrote in a statement released to the media…
"We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin, and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,"
Meanwhile, the movie production company’s weapons supervisor Hannah Gutierrez-Reed still faces involuntary manslaughter charges and has pleaded not guilty. Gutierrez-Reed has a preliminary hearing scheduled for May 3 to consider the charge.
The filming of the film resumed in Montana at the Yellowstone Film Ranch.
Baldwin will continue to be involved as both an actor and producer.
The production company finalized a settlement last month with New Mexico workplace safety regulators over "serious" violations, agreeing to a $100,000 fine to resolve a scathing safety review that detailed unheeded complaints and misfires on set before Halyna Hutchins was killed in 2021.
The decision to resume filming was made public last year by Halyna Hutchins’s widower Matthew Hutchins in a proposed settlement to a wrongful death lawsuit filed on behalf of him and his wife and their child. The terms of the settlement made him an executive producer on a rebooted "Rust."
Meanwhile, one person has taken responsibility for the tragic accident, "Rust" safety coordinator and assistant director David Halls pleaded no contest in March to a conviction for unsafe handling of a firearm. They received a suspended sentence of six months of probation.
Director Joel Souza, who was wounded when the gun went off, has said he'll return to the "Rust" production to honor the legacy of Halyna Hutchins. Parts of a documentary about Hutchins' life will be filmed simultaneously with "Rust."